Burton Law Firm Ogden Logo in White

If your ex-spouse is incarcerated, collecting child support payments can be challenging. However, you can do a few things to make the process easier. This blog post will discuss how child support payments are handled when one parent is in jail. We will also provide tips on getting the money you deserve!

When a parent goes to jail, the court typically orders that the non-incarcerated parent receive child support payments from their ex. This is done through the inmate’s state or federal prison wages or another source of income. Unfortunately, collecting these payments can be difficult because inmates’ wages are usually very low.

Your first step should be to contact your local family law attorney, who can help you get all your legal options sorted out. They may be able to negotiate with the Department of Corrections or Social Security Administration to make payments directly to you instead of having them go through other channels. Your lawyer can also help you file paperwork so that money will automatically start coming in once your ex-spouse is released.

Another option is to contact your local Domestic Relations Office (DRO). The DRO is a state agency that deals with child support issues and can help you get payments from your ex-spouse’s wages in jail. They can also help you set up an income withholding order, requiring the other parent’s employer to take money out of their paycheck for child support.

Finally, if all else fails, it may be possible to file a complaint against the incarcerated parent directly in family or criminal court. This would involve bringing evidence of your ex-spouse’s lack of payment and having a judge order them to start paying what they owe. In some states, you can take your ex-spouse’s prison wages in place of payment.

Regardless of the circumstances, it is important to remember that you have rights as a parent and can seek assistance if you have difficulty with child support payments. An experienced family law attorney can help guide you through the process and ensure that your child receives the financial support they deserve.